Stewart Lee on Writing



I'm in Edinburgh, watching a load of shows. More performance than I've ever seen in such a short amount of time.

It's making me think about how I'm going to write my performance (in collaboration with Eleanor Sikorski) for Experimentica13.

What I've noticed in the stuff I've seen is that the presentation of a show can often sublimate the content it is attempting to present.

Sometimes a lack of content is masked with complex presentation. And, a few times, great content is ruined by its presentation.

--

The above lecture by Stewart Lee on writing is great, just generally, but this section

http://youtu.be/IrXVaytvJtQ?t=50m6s

is particularly good on the importance of good writing, presented simply and directly.

It's reminded me that I'm not one for staging, and also, it's reminded me that Stewart Lee's laugh is brilliant.