Photos I took at night in the estate where my parents live

My parents have lived in the same house for 30 years. It's on an estate of 60s brick houses.

I was back here for a week for a music job. On the Thursday I went out for a meal with an old friend, it was hot and we drank a lot of wine with ice. When we said goodbye I felt like I wouldn't see her again for a long time.

On the way back to my parents' place the air felt thick and hot. The streetlights glowed orange and the vegetation on the estate seemed to reach towards them like they were a surrogate sun. I took these photos and felt a kind of hovering freedom - I don't think I've inhabited those streets in that way since I was a kid.

The next morning as I walked back up to town to buy a birthday present for my nephew, a thunderstorm shattered the thick clouds and in the distance I saw fork lightning shooting from the sky down into the fields at the edge of the town.