I went to the Walker gallery the other day. It wasn't great, though it did have more pre-renaissance painting than I was expecting, which was good to see. I liked the room of sculpture and plaster casts - how they were all shoved together in one space, flailing limbs and frozen screams.

They had a few of George Stubbs' paintings. I like it when people paint animals, especially horses. There is something absurd about horses.

This one particularly caught my eye. If you can see below, Stubbs was responsible for bringing a new genre, 'Animal Terror', to British painting.



The human-faced-Lion doesn't look very terrifying. It looks like a teddy bear.


"Stubbs borrowed one of the King's horses and produced the expression of terror in the animal by pushing a brush on the ground towards it".

Terrifying.