Yesterday I made loads of work in the studio - it was raining and I got soaked on my ride to town, so there was no way I was going back in to the city with wet thighs - that is risking some serious chaffage.

So, seeing as I didn't do anything of blogging value yesterday (I'm trying not write about the work I'm doing - I'm scripting a performance so it gets a little self-referential if I write about writing...), I thought I'd put these photos up. I took them on my trip down to the Albert Dock.

If I looked up from here, I could see the Liverpool Big Wheel


When I looked down I could see this ominous black buoy, covered in tires and held together by chains. It looks like a naval mine, or a giant floating punch bag.


I like it when developed, tourist centred zones have 'wrong' elements in them. They look so out of place in a polished, clean, cultural attraction, and at the same time somehow manage to be made invisible to visitors through their incongruity.




I love the attitude of the placement of this tape. Firstly, there is no step, secondly these things are surely their own warning - their very presence tells you that you should not walk directly in to them.

They are objects deprived of their obvious meaning, and given a new, visitor concious meaning. These functional objects have been re-interpreted as obstacles to tourism. They have been de-objectified and reconstituted as referential signifiers; their meaning is subject to our presence.

Quantum objects, post-modern objects, impotent objects.